La Candelaria Walking Tour
Pull down a cup of the powerful chicha at Chorro de Quevedo and learn about the different aspects that we inherited form our aborigine ancestors.
Understand the social and historical dynamism that has given shape to Colombia.
Get to the heart of the city and learn about the current progress and problems of the city at Plaza de Bolívar.
The walking tour of the Candelaria is designed for travelers who want to discover more of the local lifestyle, the food, and the hidden gems instead of the traditional tourist experience.
Finish with a pan de bono a pastry made with manioc flour, salted cheese and guava paste, and a glass of fresh oat milk. Can’t miss it!
In a Nutshell
- If you are a traveler who wants to discover the non-traditional sightseeing experience and get involved in local life, this is for you!
- Meet our guide near the Gold Museum and quickly adjust to the altitude with a coca leaf tea to start off the day.
- Learn about the most important urbanistic works constructed in the city center as you walk through the Eje Ambiental.
- Discover the morning produce trading at Plaza la Concordia.
- Enjoy a cup of the powerful chicha at Chorro de Quevedo and learn about the different aspects that we inherited from our indigenous ancestors.
- Meet the controversial yet fascinating work of one of the most recognized Colombian contemporary artists at Museo Botero.
- Arrive at the heart of the city and learn about the current progress and problems the city faces at Plaza de Bolívar.
- Leave the tourist trail and walk through a secret alley where handmade kitchen utensils are traded daily.
- Finish off with a pan de bono a pastry made with manioc flour, salted cheese and guava paste, and a glass of fresh oat milk. Not to be missed!
- Coca leaf tea.
- Glass of chicha.
- Entrance to Botero Museum.
- Pan de bono with fresh oat milk.
- An experienced and fun English speaking guide.
- Depending on bookings you might be in a small group up to 6 people or by yourself.
In case of rain we hold the right to rearrange the tour; tour plan may change. This tour does not include hotel pickup and drop off. If driver service is needed please contact us. It is recommended to wear long pants and obstain from any flashy objects or clothing. Please read our cancellation policy.
Put on your most comfortable shoes and get ready for the most authentic walking tour in Bogota! The La Candelaria Walking Tour is designed for travelers who want to discover the local lifestyle, food and hidden jewels of the city instead of the traditional sightseeing experience. During 3 hours, our guide will focus on taking you to places within La Candelaria that still remain off the beaten track. You will learn about Bogota´s current issues, social and economic dynamics, and interesting historical anecdotes.
After meeting our guide at the meeting point near the Gold Museum, you will start the tour with a coca leaf tea to help you adjust to the altitude and gain some energy for the walk. We will walk up the Eje Ambiantal, and learn about the reconstruction and social integration carried out by architect Rogelio Salmona at the turn of the century. Then we will enter La Candelaria and walk up to Plaza la Concordia, a local market that exhibits the day-to-day vendor/client relations for vegetable and fruit sales. Once out, we will walk the narrow street of Chorro de Quevedo where we will make a stop to try a cup of chicha, a traditional fermented drink made with maize. The preparation was inherited from our native indigenous ancestors.
Then, we will make a brief visit to the Botero Museum and follow our way down to Plaza de Bolívar. This main square is the home to the most important administrative buildings and the legendary Prime Cathedral. Keeping away from the mainstream area, we will enter a secret alley full of traditional handmade kitchen utensils. We will finish the tour with a delicious and warm pan de bono, a pastry made with manioc (cassava) flour and stuffed with salted cheese and guava paste, and a glass of fresh oat milk. That will be the perfect finish for this experience.