Bogota’s East Hills Hike
Bogotá is placed on a vast savannah formed by the east-Andean mountain range at an altitude of 2600masl. Although the majority of the city is rather flat the city limits to the east with a paramount range of mountains.
Learn about the native fauna and flora, the inspiring way in which city and nature co-exist, and the current environmental issues that the city is facing.
Reach the summit of Cerro de la Virgen and have a privileged view of the capital.
After walking for some minutes, the noise of the city will disappear and you will find yourself walking carefree through a thick forest.
Enjoy a typical bogotan breakfast with different kinds of breads and beverages before returning to your hotel.
In a Nutshell
- Start the day at break of dawn and adventure to discover one of the best kept secrets of Bogota. The East Hills.
- The noise of the city will disappear as you ascend and you will find yourself walking carefree through a thick and peaceful forest.
- Reach the summit of Cerro de la Virgen and take in a privileged view of the capital.
- Gain some knowledge about the native fauna and flora, the inspiring way in which city and nature cooperate, and the current environmental issues that the city is facing.
- Enjoy a typical Bogotan breakfast with different kinds of breads and beverages before returning to your hotel.
- Hotel Pick-up and Drop-off.
- Expert English speaking guide.
- A bottle of water for the hike.
- Depending on bookings you might be in a small group up to 6 people or by yourself.
The physical demands of this hike are medium-high. We recommend taking this tour two days after your arrival to Bogotá, especially if you are not accostumed to high altitudes. Bring comfortable clothes and shoes for hiking.
Please read our cancellation policy.
Bogotá sits on a vast savannah formed by the east-Andean mountain range at an altitude of 2600 meters. Although the majority of the city is rather flat, the city limits to the east include an incredible mountain range that follows Bogota’s territory lines from south to north. This mountain range is what is locally known as the East Hills.
The mountainous landscape not only provides a profound visual but has a huge impact on Bogotá’s climate. Although these hills are always present, they are completely unknown for many locals and visitors. After a big push made by the residents of some bordering neighborhoods, the local administration has made available and connected several hiking trails in to offer Bogotans the option to discover one of our greatest natural treasures.
On this tour, we will start the day early after the sun rises. Our guide will pick you up at your hotel and drive you to the starting point, right at the edge of the city. There you will hike up for about one hour until you reach a perfect lookout with a privileged view overlooking the city. Along the hike, you will learn from our expert guide about the struggle between native and foreign species, the environmental issues that Bogotá is facing, and much more.
After 2 hours approximately you will return to the city. We will take you for breakfast at a local bakery where you will try different kinds of bread and hot beverages that make up the typical Bogotan breakfast.
Finally, our driver will drive you safely back to your hotel or preferred destination address.