Fishing With Locals
Learn from a local fisherman the traditional fishing techniques and try your luck
See the endemic fauna from the region
Go on this adventurous tour, a unique fishing experience with the local fishermen of la Boquilla.
You can find all sorts of fish in la Boquilla which is ideal for the fishing trip we have planned.
People from La Boquilla will teach you to catch fish in three different ways: fishing with a fishing line, using nets or putting traps.
Hear the most amazing fishing stories directly from the local fishermen while on the boat as you navigate through the lagoons.
In a Nutshell
- Arrive to La Boquilla where canoes and fishermen await to head to the Cienaga de Juan Polo and the Cienaga de la Virgen lagoons.
- Hear amazing fishing stories directly from the local fishermen while on the boat.
- Learn from the fishermen three different fishing techniques: using a fishing line, nets and traps.
- Enjoy a cold coconut refreshment on the beach and prepare your own meal from the fish you just caught on a 2-hour cooking class, if you want.
- Transfer City Centre – La Boquilla – City Centre (Taxi).
- Spanish, German or English speaking tour guide (other language depending on demand).
- Cold coconut refreshment.
- Fishing gear: decoy, net, trap for crawfish, fishing line.
- Introduction to the world of fishing by a local fisherman.
- Canoe tour with the fishermen.
- Depending on bookings you might be in a small group up to 6 people or by yourself.
- Travel or accident insurance.
- Additional Drinks.
- Personal expenses or tips.
- Lunch with Fish: Fried fish with coconut rice, salad and plantain (20.000 COP)
- Massage on the beach
- 2-hour Cooking Class:
o Guide in your Language
o Refreshment (Cold Coconut)
o Cooking Class (2 hours)
o Introduction to the Colombian Caribbean cuisine
o Lunch: Ceviche, Seafood Stew with Rice, Coconut Dessert
Please read our cancellation policy.
Do you love to fish? Perhaps you have always wanted to learn? Or just interested in meeting some amazing people while relaxing in a canoe, waiting for the perfect catch? There are many reasons why you should definitely go on this adventurous tour.
This tour takes place in La Boquilla; here you’ll find mainly families with African origin, that live off of fishing. The contrast between this area and the heart of Cartagena couldn’t be any bigger, but that is exactly what makes this excursion so interesting and appealing to adventurous souls.
In La Boquilla you will encounter two big lagoons: the Cienaga de Juan Polo and the Cienaga de la Virgen. Here, you can find all sorts of fish there like Sea Bass (Robalo), Shad (Sabalo), common two-banded sea bream (Mojarra), Ocean-Bass (Pargo negro), Mullet (Lebranche), mainly bream and perch species as well as snails, clams, shrimps and crawfish, this variety is ideal for the fishing trip we have planned. People from La Boquilla will teach you to catch fish in three different ways. The three main techniques to be learned are: fishing with a fishing line, using nets or putting traps.
When you arrive at La Boquilla, canoes and fishermen will await us to head to the lagoons. At the boats, there will be a multilingual guide present who will make it possible for you to communicate with the local fishermen and hear some of their amazing stories. We’ll be fishing there for about two hours, so be sure to bring a hat and some sunscreen.
At the lagoon, the fishermen will teach you the different fishing techniques. They’ll show you how to use a fishing line, how to throw the fishing net, and how to set up traps to catch crawfish. And if you were wondering, yes! You do get to keep what you catch. After the trip a cold coconut drink will be offered to you in La Boquilla beach, and if you want, you can prepare the fish you caught at a restaurant, under instructions of a local cook (additional charge).