El Cocuy 4 days Excursion
We will hike up to the point where the snow starts, at about 5200masl. There we will put the mountaineering gear on (included in price), and start walking towards the summit.
The peaks summits range from 4800 to 5350masl. The diverse soil and climate make this national mark one of the most bio diverse protected areas on earth.
Climb up to the edge of snow of white Rita`k Uwa, the highest peak in the park put on your mountaineering gear and venture into the snow.
Visit one of the most bio-diverse national parks on earth and be amazed by the stunning snowy mountain peaks and scenic landscapes.
Given the diverse range of activities, this area is a perfect destination for high mountain experts and beginners alike.
Frailejón is an endemic shrub that grows only in the Andes at high altitudes. Grows only 1cm per year and its rare beauty makes a perfect balance with the stony landscapes.
Hike through the valleys where crystal-clear creeks and waterfalls flow from the glaciers.
3D model of the national park’s geography located at the main square of the charming Cocuy village.
Share a homemade typical dinner with the local farmers at Kanawara homestay
In a Nutshell
- Discocer one of the most bio-diverse national parks on earth and be amazed by the stunning snowy mountain ranges and scenic landscapes.
- Hike through the valleys where crystal-clear creeks and waterfalls flow from the glaciers.
- Climb up to the edge of snow white Rita`k Uwa, the highest peak in the park. Put on your mountaineering gear and venture into the snow.
- Share a homemade typical dinner with the local farmers at Kanawara homestay.
- Lay back and relax at the soothing hot springs near Cocuy village.
- Count on being with a knowledgable and expert English-speaking guide from and to your hotel, and all the logistic support for equipment and food.
- Transportation from and to your hotel
- Deluxe overnight bus tickets there and back.
- Entrance fee to Cocuy National Park.
- All meals included: from breakfast on Day 1 to lunch on Day 3.
- Transportation at the destination.
- One camping tent for every 2 people.
- -15 C sleeping bag.
- Mountaineering gear rental (harness, lines, crampons, piolettes, water-repellent pants).
- Specialized NOLS certified English-speaking guide.
- Entrance to hot springs.
- Medical Insurance.
Private transportation is available for an additional cost. No experience required but being in good shape is encouraged. Please advise if anyone in your group has a medical condition or special food requirement.
Please read our cancellation policy.
El Cocuy is one of the places that make Colombia such an amazing country. Being the biggest mass of snow and ice found within Latin-America north of the equator, the park includes: 22 snow peaked mountains, lakes tucked among the mountains, crystal-clear creeks flowing gently across huge valleys, and a unique vegetation throughout. Given the diverse range of activities, this area is a perfect destination for high-mountain experts and beginners alike.
This high-altitude national park is located in the eastern center of Colombia and its 3060 square kilometers extension is divided through the departments of Boyacá and Santander. The peaks' summits altitudes range from 4800 to 5350 MAMSL. The diverse soil and climate make this national park one of the most bio diverse protected areas on earth.
The Sierra Nevada del Cocuy tour is the best chance to visit this natural wonder. It is a three days excursion that starts from Bogotá. There is no experience required.
Night one: After being picked-up from your hotel, you will head with your English-speaking guide to the bus terminal. You will take a luxury overnight bus in order to reach Cocuy in the morning of day one.
Day one: We will have breakfast at Cocuy village upon arrival and take a Jeep ride to the starting point. We will start the hike up to the first basecamp at 4400 MAMSL where the horses carrying the bags with food and equipment will be waiting for us. This hike will take approximately 8 hours. We will spend the night in tents.
Day two: We will wake up around 7:00am. We will have a healthy breakfast at the basecamp and start the hike up to the base of the white Rita`k Uwa peak. Continuing up to the point where the snow starts, at about 5200masl. There we will put the mountaineering gear on (included in price), and start walking towards the summit. After we will come back down to the Kanawara farm, where the rest of the luggage and camping equipment have been transported and a rewarding homemade meal will be served. We will spend the night at a cozy homestay.
Day three: After breakfast at the farm we will head to the relaxing natural hot springs. After that, we will have lunch at the village and take a bus back to Bogotá together with the guide. Once in Bogotá we will drive you back to your hotel. Arrival is expected around 11:00pm.