Coconut Handicraft Workshop
In order to fabricate something, a lot of work as well as time are required. The coconuts must be soaked, cleaned, cut and polished; a process that takes several hours.
Learn about the coconut souvenir’s production process and about the women that embrace this labor daily.
Women in La Boquilla produce jewelry, silverware, containers, vases, belts and accessories out of coconuts.
Despite the time consuming nature of this process, all the time put in is definitely worth it in the results.
Mothers head of family and their coconuts is an association of 7 women who make beautiful things with simple means.
In a Nutshell
- Discover La Boquilla and support the Mothers Head of Family and their coconuts project.
- Learn about the coconut souvenir’s production process and about the women that embrace this labor daily.
- Make your own souvenir at a rustic restaurant on the beach of La Boquilla, with the help of the “coconut-ladies”.
- Enjoy a cold coconut beverage, undoubtedly a welcomed treat, while working on your souvenir.
- Go for a swim in the Caribbean Sea after you’re done with your souvenir.
- If you want, you can have a typical lunch on the beach while watching a Folklore dance-performance.
- Taxi from and to the hotel.
- Spanish – German or English speaking tour guide (other language depending on demand).
- Transfer City Centre – La Boquilla– City Centre.
- Introduction to the World of Coconut.
- Cold Coconut Refreshment.
- Hand crafted coconut souvenir.
- Depending on bookings you might be in a small group up to 6 people or by yourself.
- Travel or accident insurance
- Additional Drinks
- Personal expenses or tips
- Lunch with Fish: Fried fish with coconut rice, salad and plantain (20.000 COP)
- Lunch with Seafood: Seafood stew with coconut rice, salad and plantain (35.000 COP)
- Folklore dance-performance 15-20 min (350.000 COP per performance)
Important! We are on migration process. IMPULSE Travel is our new name. Please see this experience on our new site, for updated information and a better user experience.
Planning on going to Cartagena or already there? Bet you haven’t discovered La Boquilla yet; we give you the opportunity to discover it while supporting an amazing project. The project Madres-Cabeza de Familia y sus Cocos (Mothers Head of Family and their Coconuts) is an association of 7 women. In 2008 they took part in a crafts-class sponsored by the foundation ProBoquilla, nowadays they produce jewelry, silverware, containers, vases, belts and accessories out of coconuts, and the best of it all is that they will gladly teach you how to make your own souvenirs.
The process isn’t as easy as we put it; in order to fabricate something, a lot of work, as well as time are required. First, the coconuts must be soaked, cleaned and cut; this process takes up several hours. After that the coconuts have to be polished; a tough labor that must be done with several breaks in between. Despite the time-consuming nature of this process, all the time put in it is definitely be worth it in the results. Not only is it an amusing and interesting process, but also the women in charge of it are really incredible. Women with amazing personalities shaped by their life stories, who are making beautiful things with simple means and are always willing to share their knowledge.
Regarding the day’s schedule, here is a bit more information on how it will go. First, we’ll drive to La Boquilla where you’ll be greeted by the “coconut-ladies” who’ll introduce you to the art of making souvenirs out of coconuts. Participants get the opportunity to make their own souvenir out of the prepared pieces of coconut. You’ll also get a cold coconut beverage, undoubtedly a welcome treat, while working in a rustic restaurant on the beach of La Boquilla.
After you finish your unique handcraft souvenir, you will get the chance to go for a swim in the Caribbean Sea before we go back to your hotel. If you choose to stay at the beach for some more time, you can book a delayed transport for an additional charge.